Sunday, August 14, 2005

duck and cover continues

AS I was saying we were taught russians were going to bomb us and that they hated us etc....

Yesterday I was at our back to school bash for the neighborhood...

I was talking to Anna...she is very sweet  lady whose child was in my 10 year old class last year..

I told her that I was thinking the other day how strange life can be...

She said what do you mean?

I said you are from Russia and I went into how we were taught that russians hated us...

She laughed and said I know what you mean we were taught that Americans were evil and wanted us dead...

I said isn't it ironic that you and I are here friends talking 20 or more years later...

She said Yes it is...She said I love america and would never live back in Russia..America people are so loving and kind..especially when igor <her son> got bone cancer...

She said she was blown away at the kindess of american strangers giving her love and support..

I said These men and woman who are over our countries put us in situations and sometimes I think if we all sit down and had a talk maybe things could be better we are all basically the same and wont the same things in life...

She said I agree...

Anna's mother is visiting from Ruissa and does so every summer....She said when her mother goes back to Russia and she hears a Russian saying anything bad about America she corrects them and tells them they are wrong..

She tells them it is the kindest country and America people are so loving and she tells them

I know this because I go there every year for many months...

Anna and I hugged ....

I said I am better for knowing you and she said I feel same about you....<I put this is her English which is sometimes a little broken>

Who would of thought all those times I was ducking and covering for what.....

sheesh!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the other day how brainwashed I was as a child....about sex...about right and wrong...about minorities...and totally forgot about the sirens and duck and cover and civil defense. Thanks for reminding me. We have come a long way and now I am too old to recapture all those years lost to blind submission. A very thoughtful entry...thanks for sharing...Courtenay  
Pleas visit and help us celebrate
It is time to sign up or enter your voice in your own journal to celebrate the Second
Aol J-Land Annivoicery
If every one who is participating would leave a link below. it will be the gratest gift in the world....Hearing your voice for the first time reciting your favorite entry.
If you are shy you can just wish the rest of us a Happy Anniversary and leave a link to your journal where we can pick up your personal message...We are looking forward to hearing from you....literally!

http://journals.aol.com/courtenaymphelan/saturdaysix/entries/496

Anonymous said...

Now, we seem to portray anyone from the middle east that way.....but on-line I visit with people who live near that region and they just have a life and try to get by also.  Of course the ones I have contact with are Christian.  ;)   It never pays to try to cover a whole group of people with one blanket concept.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I bet most Iraqi people are nice, too, and very kind....