Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Good to go and the talk!!!

ok I'm good to go with my eye surgery..so friday at 7:40 in the AM.....I'm nervous....

_______________________________________

Ok I'm not sure if its something in the air but my 9 year old is starting to ask some pretty intense questions...I don't remember my 23 year old asking these questions quite so young......but who knows I have slept since then.....so here you have it

I pick the kids up from school and were off to group play therapy for cameron as were driving down the street my 9 year old starts this conversation

Cameron: Mom.......Why are college girls getting babies so young?

ME: WHAT???? Were did this come from

Cameron: I heard it on the news you were watching this morning

Note to self..the kid to smart for his own good lol

<Its now 3:15 pm and I guess he has been mulling this around in his brain all day>

I'm driving down the road thinking oh my gosh we can't have the sex talk now......not while I am driving I'm not ready for this....... I think I will play dumb to see just what he knows.

Me: How do YOU think Girls are getting the babies?

Cameron: You know <he pauses and them spells quitely> S-E-X

Oh my gosh this is not going in the direction that I thought as I drove down the street..He does knows so ......ok I will just handle this by honesty...It worked with the oldest son but he was a little older....

Me: Well to not have babies they needed to use protection.....

Cameron: What is Protection????

Me: Well< Gulp>Girls can use birth control pills that keeps them from having babies

Cameron: DO boys have birth control???

I'm thinking holy shit...I dont want to go into this too much.....what to do ......what to do

Me: yes men use condoms

Cameron:  What is a condom???

Me: IT's something that men wear that protects them

Cameron: Where do they wear it??

AAGGGHH I feel the gray hairs popping out of my head...ping ping

Me: They wear  it on there winkies<this is what cameron calls his penis>

Cameron:  Oh Ok...< he says matter of fact like its no big deal>

So I throw this part in...

Me: But men and woman should not have sex unless they are married ... It's something you share with someone you love a lot and wont to spend the rest of your life with

Cameron:Like you and daddy...You love each other alot

Me: yes we do....

Cameron: I'm hungry can we stop and get something to eat??

Yep he went on to another subject like we just discussed the weather or something....

This does not get any easier with each child...

The rest of the night I stressed and thought oh no did I tell him too much...Did I say it wrong..Have I scared my child for life lol

I not ready for my children to be big yet....

I need a XANAX!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your eye surgery!!!! I know you are nervous, who wouldn't be, but I am sure it will be fine.
You handled that well - about sex.  They grow up so young these days but it is good that you talk about it with him and that you brought LOVE into it. xxxxx

Anonymous said...

That was so funny. We prepare for these talks and go over it in our heads but when the time comes we draw a blank. Oh no, not now. I have learned to be as honest as possible with them. They will ask their friends and might not get the right answers. I will pray for you and your surgery. God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

yep been there and done that!  Austin's teacher in 3rd grade got pregnant...took Austin abotu 6 months to ask me HOW she got pregnant! lol...This is how I explained it...daddy has a tadpole and mom has an egg...tadpole eats the egg....and like a tad pole turns to a frog?  THIS tadpole turns to a baby 9 months later...he said OH OK....lol...will have to go into more detail soon I am sure...but this worked for now...lol

Kelly

Anonymous said...

You did a great job!!!  You did so well that he wasn't interested in the topic anymore and instead switched to his own needs, he was hungry!  Good job!!  But, I almost got gray hair on MY head reading what he asked!  YIKES!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

YAYYYYYY on the surgery!
I think you did good on what you said. Not too much enough said.

Anonymous said...

So glad ur getting ur eye surgery..best of luck....and you did great with the convo with ur son....i would have freaked out too...haha...Hugss ~Terri~

Anonymous said...

Relax about the surgery, it will be fine.  And thats great how you handled the little birds and the bees talk.  I've already had it with all my boys, and my oldest daughter... my baby is 10 and just went through sex ed.  She can't wait to start wearing pads, can you imagine that?

Anonymous said...

OH boy!!!  You do have a little thinker there....his mind is going all the time.  :)  Lot's of luck on the next round of questions.  LOL
Michele  http://journals.aol.com/samnsmile5/lettingitallsinkin

Anonymous said...

I think you did perfectly, honesty is always the best way to go when dealing with those kind of questions.  You didn't tell him too much, just answered his questions and put his mind at rest.  Well done you, ping those grey hairs back in again!!  Good luck for the eye surgery, it will all be worth it ;o)
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

You handled those questions just fine!  By the time I think my son is ready to talk he'll know more than I wanted him to without me telling him.!! Do you think when we were 9 we were thinking about........ ya know...S-E-X ???????? LOL
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Oh, you did fine. Remember, it is just a subject like any other.  I talk about sex with my girls all the time.  Nine is definately time to tell ! (When I was a social worker I had a pregnant ELEVEN year old on my caseload.)